Wednesday, June 3, 2009

THE VACATION

A C is for Cookie PRODUCTION

Kelsi

I plugged in my blue iPod Nano; the song “So What?” blaring from it. I was driving home from my last day as a waitress, thank god. But another thing I had to look into was college. High school was done, and I had many possibilities in the future. The hot sun felt nice on my skin with the convertible top down. My midnight black hair, down to my back, was flowing along the side of my face. As I slowed to a stop, my hazel eyes stared into the rearview mirror. Finally, I turned into the driveway of my house. In the rocking chair on our porch, sat my best friend, Taylor. She leaped from the chair and ran to me.

“Kelsi! Your never gonna guess what your parents got you for graduation.” Taylor said ecstatically. I thought for a moment, but I was clueless.

“ A trip to a warm place….maybe Texas?” I guessed. After all, I always wanted to go to a warm place where it didn’t rain as often, Maui to be particular.

“Nope. Even better! They got you the best vacation spot EVER! A ticket for you and me to go to MAUI!” She shrieked.

“No way. Shut up! You must be lying! Well, unless there’s a catch…Is there a catch?” I said.

“Well….” Taylor mumbled.

“Well what?” I asked crossing my arms.

“My sister kind of has to come. “ She said smiling warily.


Claire
** Three days later**

“I’ll be out in a minute,” I yelled to Taylor, my ride to the airport. I walked into our house and set the umbrella down. I walked into the large bathroom and stared at my face. I have sapphire blue eyes and blonde hair that tangles in every direction around my pale face. I grabbed my hairbrush and a toothbrush and tossed them into a makeup bag.

“Where did I put that suitcase?” I grumbled to myself.

“Claire? Is that you?” Mom called from upstairs, “Can you come here for a minute?” I rolled my eyes. This was probably one of those lectures. I walked slowly up the stairs. Mom was packing my suitcase and looking at her watch with worried eyes.

“Now you be safe. Don’t get in trouble. And stay away from boys!” She said kissing my forehead and giving me one of those long torturous hugs that she always gives me before I go on a trip. I heard Taylor pull out of the driveway. Figures. Mom drove me to the airport and talked to me with worried eyes about what to do if a stranger came up to me, and more nonsense.

Taylor

I just got on the plane with Kelsi. She was packing her bags into the overhead compartment and chattering about Maui. I ignored her and looked out at the rain-covered window. My breath fogged the glass, so I started drawing a picture in it. Then I heard Claire’s obnoxious voice.

“ Sorry I’m late! But it usually helps when you don’t leave me at home!” She grumbled noisily. I ignored her, rolling my eyes. Suddenly the flight attendant signaled our take off.

Kelsi

It took three days to get from Seattle to L.A. and then to Maui. It was much hotter in Maui then I expected. The beaches had black shiny sand and sapphire blue water. I could taste the salt from the ocean in the air. It was very silent though. We were staying at Iao Valley with my step grandparents, Lily and Richard. They were very rich and gave us a beautiful room. There were decorations of Hawaiian flowers on the walls, a large window with an excellent view of the ocean (they lived on a beach!), two king-sized waterbeds, and black sand for floors. It was beautiful.

“If there are two beds, then where am I sleeping?” Claire asked. I smiled at her, though she was being annoying.

“Taylor and I will share a bed. You can keep the pink one over there.” I said politely. She rolled her eyes at me and plopped down on her bed.

*LATER THAT DAY*

I was filling my purse with wads of money, preparing for a long shopping spree. Taylor grabbed my hand, and I smiled at her. I grabbed Claire’s hand gently with my free hand. We bought seashell bracelets and some cute Hawaiian clothing.

Taylor

My large deer like eyes stared into the seashell shaped mirror. My skin is slightly darker, like a permanent tan. I looked much darker than my pale sister and Kelsi. My hair is caramel that swirls and frames my face. I have bright green braces on my teeth. Kelsi skipped in my direction and wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

“ Hey Taybear, you look scared. What’s wrong?” She asked. Kelsi was my best friend, and knew when I was scared. I found out that there were mountains off to the side, and I was deathly afraid of heights. Kelsi still didn’t know that. I wanted to be strong with her and brave.

“ Just some family issues,” I lied. She shrugged like she was trying not to think about it. We walked into the bedroom and got ourselves situated. Then I drifted into a long sleep, dreaming about magnificent Maui.

Kelsi

I woke up when the bright sunshine painted the room a light honey color. Taylor was up and ready, probably wanting to play volleyball, our favorite team sport. I smiled and dressed quickly. I wore a baby blue tank top that I had just bought and some worn down cut off shorts. I pulled my hair into a messy bun and pulled on my new white flip-flops. I skipped to the black sands with Taylor as we waited for Claire to finish showering. We stuck our feet in the ocean and chatted. Finally, Claire was finished. We decided to look for a good volleyball game. Just our luck, three guys (two were our age and one Claire’s) were talking while they waited for worthy opponents.

“Maybe we met our match Taybear,” I whispered sarcastically under my breath. She chuckled.

“Hey girls! Lookin good!” the tall one said. He winked at me, and I felt my face grow red.

“You boys up for a good game of volleyball?” I taunted.

“No way am I gonna play against a bunch of girls!” the darkest one said.

“Oh, are you afraid of losing to us?” Taylor laughed.

“No way! Let’s go!” The young one said. And so the game began. Taylor served with her wicked serve, sending the ball flying over the net and scoring our first point.

*ONE HOUR LATER*

The game was tied, and it was their serve for the game point. The dark one served it high over the net. I smiled at Taylor. She bumped it up and went on her knees, getting out of my way. Ashe brought her hands into a cup formation. I put my foot in her hands, and she launched me into the air. I spiked the ball hard and we won! We went to go hang out, shopping and talking.

*2 HOURS LATER*

We were all sitting at a bonfire. The tall boy (Chad as I found out after the game), the dark one (Chris), and the young one (Jamie) sat with Taylor, Claire, and I.

“Jamie and I are going to go… we’ll be back later.” Claire said blushing.

“Stay outta trouble Claire. I’m not getting blamed for you again!” Taylor grumbled. I laughed.

Taylor

“So, you girls heard about the mountains? You can go above the clouds and watch the sunrise. It’s awesome,” Chris said. Oh great! I thought to myself. Kelsi will love climbing mountains with her precious Chad. She’ll take Chris and I too. Look how excited she looks.

“I wanna go. Just me and Taylor for some best friend bonding,” She said with her happy voice. I sighed.

Kelsi

I woke early and woke Taylor. We had my grandma take us to the mountains where she dropped us off with hugs and kisses, and the typical, “Be safe!” We started climbing.

It only took us three hours to climb past the clouds. But Taylor looked petrified the entire time. I should’ve guessed this wasn’t something she’d like to do. Next thing I knew, the golden sun flamed through the clouds. I was so awed that I didn’t hear Taylor slip, a slight whimper escaping her lips.

“Kelsi, I- I’m falling. Kelsi help, help me up,” she said petrified. I ignored her. I was too awed by the sun. Then I heard a shrill scream. I turned in Taylor’s direction just in time and snatched her hand while she fell.

“Oh my God! Taylor, I’m sorry. I heard you call me, but the sun had me distracted. I’m so sorry! Just hold on! I’ll try to pull you up!” I said terrified for my best friend’s life.

Taylor

I looked down carefully. All I saw was a misty cloud and the dark sands. This was it. I was going to die here, falling from a mountain! I looked back at Kelsi and saw she was crying.

“It’s okay Kelsi. You’ll be fine without me. I love you. You were always my best friend. Um… let’s see… tell my mom that I love her, and tell Claire to toughen up and that she’s the best little sister ever. I guess this is goodbye Kelsi,” I said feeling my hand slip from hers. I let go and felt the air lift from me as I gained speed from falling. I closed my eyes and prepared myself for the afterlife. The last thing I heard was a crash, and then it was all black.

Kelsi

I felt tears drip hard down my face as I sobbed. My best friend ever had just died, falling from a mountain. She was somewhere down in the sand, dead. I felt numb and helpless as I sat on the mountain. An hour later, Chad came with a group of guys and took me back to my grandparents. He soothed me as I cried, but it didn’t help. We took the next flight home.

Claire

It’s been a year since Taylor died. I got the message from Kelsi, and have been trying not to think about my sister’s death. I heard Kelsi went to college. Life’s been going on miserably. But I know that Taylor is in a better place, and I will be happy once again.